Before the 1960’s, most homes got their electricity through a fuse box typically containing four fuses that screwed in and out. These fuses were metal strips that melted at a lower temperature than the other wiring components in a circuit and acted as a protective mechanism when current usage threatened to overpower the circuit. Fuses were most often blown out by short circuits and the simultaneous operation of too many appliances for a single circuit.
Fuses are rated by wire size, and many South Bay homeowners ended up creating problems by inserting wrong-sized fuses into fuse boxes. The fuse box has largely been replaced by the electrical breaker panel in more modern homes that are being built today. Electrical panels literally cut off the flow of electricity whenever it exceeds a safe level so that the temperature in your home’s wiring does not reach dangerous levels, which might cause a hazard. Some homes may have a recalled or defective breaker panel that won’t protect your home when the current exceeds its maximum rating causing the wiring to overheat. For more information on the differences between the two, read our article here.
The electricians at Penna Electric can inspect your home’s electrical system, identify your electrical needs for safety as well as to help lower energy costs, and provide you with the best recommendation in terms of an electrical panel upgrade that will bring your house up to modern day codes and standards.